Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Popular or controvertial?
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
New Video and Audio Files added
Watch and hear some heavyweight Christian scholars, such as William Lane Craig, John Lennox, J.P. Moreland, Alvin Plantinga and Dallas Willard, on a variety of philosophical topics including science, naturalism, Richard Dawkins and the influence of worldviews on our thinking.
Saturday, August 19, 2006
Aesthetics and God
Thursday, August 17, 2006
Students More Likey to Support ID than Public
According to a survey of 1000 British students publicised by the Guardian newspaper: ‘more than 12% questioned preferred creationism… to any other explanation of how we got here. Another 19% favoured the theory of intelligent design…’[i] Overall then, a little over 31% of British students actively embrace an origins theory other than evolution. Moreover:
Opinion-panel Research’s survey of more than 1,000 students found a third of those who said they were Muslims and more than a quarter of those who said they were Christians supported creationism. Nearly a third of Christians and 10% of those with no particular religion [the latter is a particularly significant point of interest] favoured intelligent design. Women were more likely to choose [non-evolutionary] explanations: less than half chose evolution, with 14% preferring creationism and 22% intelligent design.[ii]
Despite the fact that 57% of third-year students support evolution compared with 54% of first-year students (whilst showing no change in their beliefs about God’s existence)[iii], these statistics mean that while British students are less likely (indeed, nearly half as likely) to endorse creationism than the British public in general (12% of students support creationism compared to 22% of respondents in a recent BBC survey), they are more likely to endorse intelligent design theory (19% of students support ID compared to 17% of respondents in the BBC survey). As in
[i] Guardian Education, Tuesday August 15, 2006 @ http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1844478,00.html
[ii] Guardian Education, Tuesday August 15, 2006 @ http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1844478,00.html
[iii] Guardian Education, Tuesday August 15, 2006 @ http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1844478,00.html
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Problems with 'explaining away' beliefs
Friday, August 04, 2006
Christians in Science Post Audio Files of ID Debate
The files consist in:
chairman Dr Peter May's introductory remarks
and Professor Fox's presentation
The hour's Q&A was not recorded.
For a sense of the sort of responses I would make to Dr Fox, cf. my response to theistic evolutionist Denis Alexander: Intelligent Designs on Science
Tuesday, August 01, 2006
ISCID Publish Surreply to Alexander
This paper was recently published on my Access Research Network Featured Author's Page (Intelligent Designs on Science), but is here reproduced as a pdf with the correct formatting.
While not peer reviewed: 'The archive is moderated to assure that articles meet minimum scholarly standards and are relevant to the study of complex systems.'
This is my second paper to be published by ISCID, the first being Intelligent design, Aesthetics and Design Arguments (2002)